• Newsletters
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Tuesday, August 22, 2017
View complete forecast
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.

Harriette Cole: Employee leaves reader without many plans

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.The Associated Press
Friday, August 04, 2017 12:01 am

DEAR HARRIETTE: I have an employee who has worked with me remotely for about two years. She is a college student. She would turn in her work once a week like clockwork until last semester, when she became more erratic. I communicated with her about her tardiness. She apologized and assured me that she would do better. This summer, she has been very spotty in turning in her work, even after we had an exchange about the importance of following up and being professional.

Fast-forward to now: I haven't heard from her in two weeks. I am frustrated because she was such a reliable support to my business, and now she has trailed off entirely. Do I write to her one more time to see what's going on? I hate to lose her. Also, if she wanted a recommendation, it would be hard for me to give a good one, considering that she has walked away from me in a very unprofessional manner. — Virtually Missing, Minneapolis

DEAR VIRTUALLY MISSING: As far as your business is concerned, the writing on the wall is telling you to find a replacement for this employee. She has proven to be unreliable. If you need the work done, you need to find someone who wants to do it.

As far as your employee is concerned, send her a note. Check to see if she is OK, that no misfortune has befallen her. Then state in your note that you must hear from her, even if she is no longer going to be working with you. Impress upon her the importance of having a smooth ending to your professional relationship. Otherwise, you will not be able to give her a good recommendation in the future.

DEAR HARRIETTE: My primary care doctor is retiring, and I'm in a panic. I have been going to her for more than 20 years. I got a letter saying she is finished and I can go to another doctor in her practice if I want, but I don't know any of them. I got a recommendation from a friend for another doctor. Now that my doctor is gone, how can I get my records transferred to the new doctor? I am so confused. I don't think my doctor handled this well. She's just gone, and that's that. — Need Records, Philadelphia

DEAR NEED RECORDS: Take a deep breath. It's not as bad as you think. Contact your former doctor's practice. Let them know that you were her patient for many years and are now transferring to another doctor. Ask if you can come in and pick up your records or have them transferred electronically to your new doctor. Your new doctor may need to make a formal request, which is good, as it protects your confidentiality. You may have to push a little to make this happen, but you have every right to a smooth transfer of your medical records.

Lifestylist and author Harriette Cole is president and creative director of Harriette Cole Media. You can send questions to askharriette@harriettecole.com or C/O Universal Uclick, 1130 Walnut St., Kansas City, MO 64106.


News-Sentinel.com reserves the right to remove any content appearing on its website. Our policy will be to remove postings that constitute profanity, obscenity, libel, spam, invasion of privacy, impersonation of another, or attacks on racial, ethnic or other groups. For more information, see our user rules page.
comments powered by Disqus