Perusing the TV schedule, I find an odd topic for a TV show, “Mermaids,” which airs at 9 p.m. today on Animal Planet.
The network's description of the show says experts use scientific theory “to reveal the natural history of mermaids and show us what they looked like, how they lived and how they could have evolved.”
I was surprised how many movies feature mermaids or have mermaids in their title. Do you remember these mermaid movies?
1. The most popular mermaid movie of all time has to be Disney's “The Little Mermaid.” Who provided the voice to Ariel?
2. “Splash” (1984) featured Darryl Hannah as Madison. Who directed the film?
3. Disney's “The Little Mermaid 2: Return to the Sea” went straight to video in 2000. This actor returned to provide the voice of Scuttle. Name him.
4. In this 1952 biopic, “Million Dollar Mermaid,” name the actress who portrayed Australian swimming champ Annette Kellerman.
5. Cher stars as a single mother in “Mermaids.” Who portrayed her two daughters?
6. In the 2006 TV movie “The Mermaid Chair,” a married woman falls in love with Benedictine monk. Name the actress.
Answers: 1. Jodi Benson. 2. Ron Howard. 3. Buddy Hackett. 4. Esther Williams. 5. Winona Ryder and Christina Ricci. 6. Kim Basinger.