• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
79°
Wednesday August 20, 2014
View complete forecast
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.
Local Business Search
Stock Summary
Dow16949.6230.03
Nasdaq4528.120.61
S&P 5001983.752.15
AEP52.270.07
Comcast54.720.22
GE26.2750.225
ITT Exelis17.31-0.3
LNC53.460.62
Navistar39.020.73
Raytheon96.59321.5332
SDI23.20-0.01
Verizon48.900.2

Police and court briefs

Friday, May 31, 2013 - 9:41 am

Editor's note: In a trial in August 2008, Chad I. Kaluza was found not guilty of burglary by a 12-person jury in Allen Superior Court. The jury could not reach verdicts on two related misdemeanor charges, criminal mischief and criminal trespass; those charges were dismissed later in 2008.

Man faces burglary, trespass charges

A 32-year-old Fort Wayne man found talking to himself inside a greenhouse after hours was arrested Sunday for burglary, criminal trespass and criminal mischief charges.

Chad I. Kaluza, of the 11000 block of Brougham Run, was seen inside Young's Greenhouse at 4131 Clinton St. by the owner, according to a probable cause affidavit. The owner told detectives Kaluza was going through a cabinet where a safe used to be. According to the affidavit, Kaluza had cuts to his head that he didn't know the origin of. He told the responding officer he should be taking psychological medication but wasn't. According to the affidavit, it appeared someone kicked in the door to the greenhouse.

2 Elmhurst students arrested

Two Elmhurst High School students were arrested on disorderly-conduct charges after school officials claimed the two began fighting in the lunchroom Friday, according to a Fort Wayne Police Department report. According to the report, administrators saw the girls punching and shoving each other. One girl claimed the other blamed her for having her brother “locked up,” according to the report.

Man charged in Sept. 10 robbery

A 47-year-old man accused of stealing another man's wallet at a local gas station earlier this month was arrested Friday after being involved in a hit-and-skip accident. Richard D. Charlton was charged with robbery and booked into Allen County Lockup after an interview with detectives. A man robbed at a Marathon gas station Sept. 10 identified him as a man who put him in a chokehold, according to a probable-cause affidavit. According to the affidavit, police want to question Charlton about several robberies.

'Nazi' comment blamed in attack

A 36-year-old man accused of punching another man in a northeast Allen County bar in July apparently told detectives he lost his cool after he heard a remark about a “Nazi concentration camp.” Aaron A. Walker-Freeman, of the 100 block of West El Dorado Trail, was formally charged by Allen County prosecutors Monday with felony battery. According to a probable-cause affidavit, he was at 4D's Bar and Grill near Lima and Dupont roads July 7 walking people to their cars when his wife came out of the bar upset. According to the affidavit, he went inside to find people sitting at the table where he and his friends had been sitting. Walker-Freeman exchanged words with a man at the table, and according to the affidavit, told detectives about the “concentration camp” remark, which he took as derogatory. Walker-Freeman said he punched the man once, but witnesses said he punched the man three times. The man then threw a glass at Walker-Freeman, according to witnesses. Walker-Freeman punched the man a fourth time, according to the affidavit, which knocked him out for a “few minutes.”

Leo man faces burglary charge

Allen County prosecutors formally charged a 19-year-old Leo-Cedarville man with burglary, and more charges could follow.

According to court documents, Cory D. Carico, of the 8700 block of Multirose Lane in Leo-Cedarville, is accused of burglarizing a northern Allen County home June 23, taking several gold watches, cameras, jewelry and a laptop. A tip that came into Crime Stoppers led investigators to Carico, and a raid of his home produced items taken during the Jan. 23 burglary as well as several others, according to court documents.

Court appearance for molest suspect

A Fort Wayne man accused of molesting the 11-year-old daughter of a woman who gave him a place to stay after he was kicked out of his home appeared in Allen Superior Court for the first time Tuesday.

Gregory Scott Michael, 36, of the 3900 block of Newport Avenue, faces two counts of child molesting and a count of being a habitual offender. According to court documents, he molested the 11-year-old girl one day in June and forced her to touch him. He has previous felony convictions for resisting arrest and escape, which allowed prosecutors to charge him as a habitual offender.

Man charged with gun possession

A convicted child molester accused of having guns that his father had given him long before his conviction was formally charged by Allen County prosecutors Monday.

James L. Berkley, 54, of the 1600 block of Hollis Lane, faces one count of unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon. According to a probable-cause affidavit, an Allen County Sheriff's Department officer discovered several shotguns underneath Berkley's bed when he came to Berkley's home to verify his address.

According to the affidavit, Berkley said his father had given him the first gun in the 1970s, before he was convicted in the 1980s. While living in Arizona after his conviction, according to the affidavit, no one told him he was not allowed to own guns, he told the officer.

Molestation at day care suspected

The mother of a 5-year-old girl told Fort Wayne Police on Sunday that she suspects her daughter was molested by at least one boy at a local day-care center.

According to a police report, the mother was putting the girl to bed when she found an object in her underpants. The girl said sometimes a boy at the day care put the object in her underpants, and then said sometimes he puts it “there” as she pointed at her genitals. According to the report, the girl told police about an incident in the bathroom of the day care, but at one point described a “big boy” as the perpetrator, and then described a “small boy” as the one who did it.

Man pleads guilty in 2002 battery

The legal process is nearly over on a 2002 battery that left one man with a fractured skull, as another man took responsibility for the beating and pleaded guilty in Allen Superior Court to aggravated battery Tuesday.

Joseph L. Squires, 25, used a baseball bat to batter the victim inside the man's apartment before taking off with DVDs, cash and the man's Chevy Blazer. Officers found the man, who had no memory of the attack, bleeding in his apartment, according to a probable cause affidavit. Squires apparently dumped the Blazer at a repair shop in Nevada, according to the affidavit, and disappeared.

He turned up in San Bernardino County, Calif., in 2004 as a member of a group dubbed Born Again Delivered Disciples. Squires called local police there to confess to a Fort Wayne battery, not knowing whether the victim had lived or died.

Squires was returned to Fort Wayne in January, but after bailing out of jail he disappeared again, and as recently as August was missing court dates. According to a plea deal, the court will choose how many years in prison he will receive.

2-year sentence part of child-neglect deal

A 21-year-old woman could face two years in prison for child neglect if a plea deal is accepted at her sentencing later this month.

Amanda M. Eash admitted to placing her 5-month-old son in situations that led to him suffering a skull fracture, burns on his buttock and back, a scab on his nose, bruises on his forehead and a cut on his head in 2005.

According to a probable cause affidavit, Eash and her then-boyfriend took her son to St. Joseph Hospital on Nov. 26, 2005, with the injuries. She said she did not know how they occurred, but that her boyfriend took care of her son sometimes. Some of the injuries, such as the bruises on the boy's arms and the cut on his head, were old, the affidavit said.

The boy was released from the hospital and put into foster care, the affidavit said. Eash is scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 26.

January trial date set for alleged rape

A 25-year-old Fort Wayne man accused of raping a woman in her home while armed with a knife had his trial date scheduled for Jan. 29 on Tuesday.

Walter S. Carpenter, of the 3800 block of Warsaw Street, is accused of breaking into the woman's home March 6, climbing into her bed and whispering obscene things to her, according to Allen Superior Court documents.

After the woman screamed, according to the documents, the man pulled out a knife and poked her in the thigh. He used clothing on the bed to tie her up and raped her, according to the documents.

He then held a knife to the woman's throat and told her if she called police, he'd kill her. During an earlier interview, the woman said he raped her while holding the knife to her throat. The woman told detectives she got a glimpse of the man's face.

According to court documents, Carpenter's DNA matched some found on the woman.

Nominate green projects

The Northeast Indiana Green Build Coalition is accepting 2007 nominations for projects that are sustainable, energy-efficient or contain renewable resources. The two award categories are commercial/business and residential/individual. To apply, go to www.neigbc Applications are due Oct. 31.

2-hour delay at EACS on Thursday

School starts two hours later than usual for East Allen County Schools students Thursday. Buses also will run two hours later.

Civil rights leader's brother to speak

Charles Evers, brother of slain civil rights icon Medgar Evers, will speak at the Fort Wayne NAACP annual banquet at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 18 at Memorial Coliseum. Tickets are $50 and may be purchased at the NAACP office, 1521 E. Pontiac St., 744-2176; Renaissance Church, 744-9600; or the African/African-American Museum, 420-0765. In 1969, Charles Evers became the first black to hold elected office in Mississippi since Reconstruction.

I-69 ramps to be resurfaced

While the Interstate 69 widening project continues, the Indiana Department of Transportation will be resurfacing the exit and entrance ramps for Coldwater Road continuing today. .

Traffic will be maintained on the ramps.

The two-construction-season project, which began earlier this summer, will add a northbound and a southbound travel lane in the freeway median, increasing I-69 from two lanes to three lanes in each direction.

N-S salute to service members

The News-Sentinel will publish reader-submitted veteran and military photos and short biographies Nov. 10. Send a photo with the soldier's or veteran's name, hometown, military branch, rank, wars or conflicts served in and (not for publication) year of birth and your name and phone number for verification purposes.

Deadline is today to drop off to Salute to Heroes, C/O The News-Sentinel, 600 W. Main St. Include a self-addressed stamped envelope if you want your photo returned. E-mail: nsmetro@news-sentinel.com.

Environmental expert to speak

The University of Saint Francis is hosting two talks by environmental consultant Sharrah Moss at 7 p.m. Oct. 4 and noon Oct. 5 in Gunderson Auditorium in the Achatz Hall of Science. For more information, contact Larry Wiedman at 434-7482.

Taylor Street down to one lane

Taylor Street will be reduced to one lane at the Norfolk-Southern Railroad elevation just east of Broadway through Oct. 17. The road will be opened to two-way traffic Fridays-Sundays.

-From staff reports