The plaques were originally on the statue of Gen. Anthony Wayne erected in 1917 and now in Freimann Square. When the statue was moved in 1973 from what is now John Nuckols Memorial Park, the plaques on the granite base remained behind. They were rescued by local artist Timothy Doyle in 1985 when the base was scrapped.
In 2008, Julie R. Waterfield purchased the plaques and donated them to the library in honor of her grandparents, Basil and Inez Needham. The plaques are mounted in the genealogy center.