News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.
Local Business Search
Stock Summary
Dow17195.42221.11
Nasdaq4566.1416.91
S&P 5001994.6512.35
AEP58.271.51
Comcast54.35-0.55
GE25.670.01
ITT Exelis17.12-0.13
LNC52.900.58
Navistar34.860.28
Raytheon103.201.54
SDI22.56-0.06
Verizon49.900.07

Police and local briefs

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 10:36 am

Man jailed on $100K bond in boy’s death

BLUFFTON — A man charged with reckless homicide in the shooting death of a 4-year-old Bluffton boy is being held on $100,000 bond.

The Bluffton News-Banner reported a preliminary plea of not guilty was entered for Bruce Pond, 46, of Ossian, on Monday in Wells Circuit Court. Pond is charged in the fatal shooting of Jacob Michuda of Bluffton. Sheriff Monte Fisher has said alcohol was involved. Pond apparently shot at a light on a pier the boy and his dad were fishing from Friday night.

Man hurt in June traffic crash dies

A man involved in a June traffic crash has died.

According to a news release from the Allen County coroner’s office, Richard A. Tesso, 54, died Friday at Lutheran Hospital. Tesso had been hospitalized since the crash, which took place at 6:13 p.m. June 17 in the 1300 block of West Washington Center Road. He was wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle in the crash. He’s the 22nd 2011 traffic fatality in Allen County.

Angola teen dies while swimming

A 17-year-old boy from Angola who was swimming with family and friends Sunday evening has died. The boy, whose identity was not released Monday, was swimming at West Otter Lake in Steuben County, an Indiana Department of Natural Resources news release said. Emergency personnel were called around 4 p.m. to a trailer park at West Otter Lake on a report of a person who was unresponsive and not breathing.

Witnesses said the teen was standing in chest-deep water when he became pale, then unconscious, while being held up by a friend. Two people pulled him to shore and began resuscitation efforts. Emergency personnel continued those efforts. The teen was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

High-speed pursuit ends in arrests

Four men were arrested after a high-speed pursuit Thursday through the southeast side of town.

According to a Fort Wayne Police report, at 11:37 p.m. an officer saw a blue compact Chevrolet run a stop sign at Standish Drive and Pettit Avenue. The officer pursued the car, with lights and siren on. It slowed, then accelerated, the report stated. The officer pursued the vehicle southbound. After many twists and turns, the car drove into the parking strip of the apartments along the west side of Anthony Boulevard and McKinnie Avenue. The car hit a high concrete curb that the street dead-ended into, landing in the yard on the south side of Pettit and the west side of Anthony, the report said. Once the car stopped, all four occupants ran west or south over residential fencing.

The officer apprehended one male, who said all occupants of the car were male and one man was supposed to be on home detention. Assisting officers in the area took the other three men into custody.

Officers found a plastic bag in the car with a leafy green substance and marijuana was in the car, the report said. There was also a laptop and several other electronics in the car identified as having been taken in a burglary. Ffff

Several shots fired into home

A home in the 4600 block of Bowser Avenue was vandalized by gunfire around 4 a.m. Sunday.

No one was injured in the incident, according to a Fort Wayne Police Department report. Five shell casings were found in the front yard, and five bullet holes were in the walls of the home. One copper-jacketed round was found in a bedroom of the home. According to the report, the woman who owns the house was not at home at the time of the incident, but her son was, and he called her.

Homes evacuated because of gas leak

The Fort Wayne Fire Department on Monday, with the assistance of NIPSCO, had to evacuate some homes on the southeast side after a 6-inch gas main was cut. The incident was reported to the fire department around 9:59 a.m., and responding crews to the corner of Winter and Lewis streets found the main had been cut. The NIPSCO crew repaired the leak, while firefighters stood by for fire control. The leak was brought under control by 12:22 p.m., with residents allowed back in their homes shortly after.

Aboite water restriction lifted

Aqua Indiana on Monday lifted its lawn watering restrictions in Aboite Township that were issued as a response to last week’s high temperatures and continued lack of rain.

Due to higher-than-normal water consumption, Aqua Indiana on Thursday requested customers limit their lawn-watering activities over the weekend in order to maintain dependable supplies of water throughout the system at all times.

Road closure

Diebold Road from just north of Norarrow Drive to Union Chapel Road will be closed Friday-Oct. 14 for road construction.

Couple wins $1M

Fort Wayne residents Jack and Debra Woodruff won $1 million from the Hoosier Lottery. The couple matched the first five numbers, but not the Megaball, in the July 1 Mega Millions drawing. They presented their Mega Millions ticket – bought in Edinburgh – to lottery officials in Indianapolis on July 21.

Jack Woodruff is a 28-year veteran of the Fort Wayne Police Department. Debra is an investigator for Adult Protective Services.

10% pay raise for Ball State leader

MUNCIE — Ball State University’s president is getting a 10 percent pay raise that is about four times the increase in the salary budget for other workers. The $39,204 pay hike for President Jo Ann Gora will make base salary about $431,000 for this school year.

The Star Press reports the Ball State trustees approved Gora’s increase during a meeting Friday, but didn’t discuss it in public. University officials didn’t provide documents that included her new salary until Monday.

Board President Hollis Hughes says Gora’s raise is justified because the university has exceeded its $200 million capital campaign goal in trying economic times and she worked hard with state officials to lessen cuts in state funding.

Political science professor Joe Losco says departments have received 2.3 percent to distribute in pay raises.

FSSA ruling to be reviewed

INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana Supreme Court has agreed to review a court ruling that found the Family and Social Services Administration wrongly cut off recipients’ welfare benefits for not cooperating without telling them specifically what they did wrong.

The state appeals court ruled against the agency in December, reversing a trial court decision in a class action lawsuit brought by the American Civil Liberties Union.

The lawsuit argued FSSA denied or cut off Medicaid, welfare or food stamps because of missing documents in clients’ applications, but never told them which specific documents were missing. Instead, it sent letters to clients accusing them of not cooperating.

More work on I-69 could start soon

WASHINGTON — Indiana highway officials say they hope to begin building a key section of Interstate 69 to Bloomington by the end of 2011 after releasing the final environmental impact statement for the stretch.

The Indiana Department of Transportation said Monday it will ask the Federal Highway Administration to release federal funds for final preparations before building the section connecting the Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center with the existing four-lane Indiana 37 near Bloomington. Sections from Evansville to Crane already are under construction.

INDOT Commissioner Michael Cline says the Bloomington-to-Evansville portion of the highway should open to traffic by the end of 2014.

Environmentalists and others still oppose the $3 billion project. Neighboring landowners recently filed papers saying they might sue INDOT and the FHA over lingering concerns.

– From staff, wire reports