The name Doris Singleton may not sound familiar but I'm sure “I Love Lucy” fans remember the name Caroline Appleby. Singleton, who played Appleby, died recently at 92.
Singleton once was interviewed in 2005, and in that interview she said if Ball liked a particular actor or actress, she/he would have a recurring role on the series.
Well, Ball must have really liked Singleton because not only did she guest star on episodes “I Love Lucy” but also on episodes of “The Lucy Show” and “Here's Lucy.”
In honor of Appleby's memory, here is a quiz about “I Love Lucy” episodes in which she was featured.
1. Lucy and Caroline spar when they plan birthday parties for their sons at the same time. Lucy says she has booked the actor who, at that time, played a super hero on TV. Name the actor and the super hero who starred on this episode.
2. In the episode “The Club Election” Appleby went by which first name before it was changed to Caroline in subsequent episodes?
3. What profession was Appleby's husband?
4. Lucy and Caroline compete again over their sons in the episode “Baby Pictures.” What was Caroline's son's name?
5. In “The Club Election” episode, which two compete for the presidency of the women's club?
Answers: 1. George Reeves played Superman on “Adventures of Superman” (1952-58). 2. Lillian. 3. He owned a radio station. 4. Stevie. 5. Lucy and Ethel Mertz.