Four people escaped a house fire on Fort Wayne's south side Thursday morning by scrambling out a second-floor window, authorities said.
The Fort Wayne Fire Department responded at about 7:07 a.m. to the 3700 block of South Barr Street, where flames were coming from a first-floor window of a house. The home's four occupants already were outside when firefighters arrived, according to a news release.
A man and woman apparently were awoken by smoke alarms and dropped two young children into the arms of bystanders from a second-floor window before jumping out the window. The man, woman and children all were treated for injuries at the scene and were later taken to the hospital in stable condition.
Firefighters put out the flames in about 11 minutes, the news release said. The fire started in the living room as a result of a malfunctioning power cord on a window-mounted air conditioner, the release said.