A genuine classic of a film, “The Grapes of Wrath,” airs at 8 p.m. today on TCM. Henry Fonda leads the cast of destitute Oklahoma farmers as they migrate west in hopes of a better life.
How well do you remember this film?
1. What was Fonda's character's name?
2. The film won Academy Awards in which two categories?
3. Who wrote the book the film is based upon?
4. The family travels to California in what vehicle?
5. On the way to California, which family member dies? What does Tom do after they bury the family member?
6. Who played the ex-preacher?
7. The film took place during this era.
8. Fonda was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role, but lost to which actor?
9. Fonda's character is newly released from prison at the beginning of the film. What crime does he tell the truck driver he committed?
10. What nickname were the family members called?
Answers: 1. Tom Joad. 2. Jane Darwell won Best Actress in a Supporting Role and John Ford won Best Director. 3. John Steinbeck. 4. 1926 Hudson “Super Six” sedan, which was adapted to serve as a truck. 5. Grandpa. Tom writes the circumstances regarding the death on a page from the family Bible and leaves it with the body. 6. John Carradine. 7. The Great Depression. 8. James Stewart (“The Philadelphia Story”). 9. Homicide. 10. Okie.