The cherub first appears in an L.S. Ayres department store catalog in 1946. To mark the company's 75th anniversary the following year, the statue was sculpted by Herron School of Art instructor David Rubins and placed atop the store's clock.
In the early 1990s, the cherub did not appear downtown after the May Department Store Co. bought Ayres and moved the cherub to its St. Louis headquarters. It returned to Indianapolis in 1994.