Today's column celebrates that thankless TV job — the ever-ready, ever-present doorman. You know, the man who is posted at the entrance of a hotel or apartment building and attends to the needs of all who enter.
When I heard about the recent death of Ned Wertimer, who played 'Ralph the Doorman' on “The Jeffersons,” I got to thinking about all the TV doormen out there. There have been more than you realize, and I bet you don't remember them. Or do you?
1. This doorman, played by Jeremy Rowley, was the subject of many practical jokes by Carly, Sam and Freddie on “iCarly.”
2. Probably the most famous doorman of all was heard but never seen — on “Rhoda.” Also, who provided the voice?
3. Which famous actor portrayed the doorman on “The Single Guy” (1995-97)?
4. This doorman actually operated the elevator on “My Little Margie.”
5. On “Here and Now” (1992-93), Charles Brown played this doorman.
6. Shaun Weiss played this doorman on “The Tony Danza Show” (1997).
7. Which comedian starred as Lenny Callahan, who worked as a laborer by day and as a doorman at a posh hotel by night on “Lenny” (1990-91)?
Answers: 1. Lewbert. 2. Carlton was played/voiced by Lorenzo Music. 3. Ernest Borgnine. 4. Charlie (played by Willie Best). 5. Sydney. 6. Stuey Mandelker. 7. Lenny Clarke.