BLOOMINGTON -- It appears Lawrence Barnett's days as an Indiana Hoosier are over.
The veteran cornerback and former Bishop Luers standout has decided not to play as a fifth year senior, according to coach Kevin Wilson via an IU video released on Tuesday.
Barnett was one of five fourth-year players who decided to pass on a fifth season and focus on graduating this spring, Wilson said. The others were offensive lineman Charlie Chapman, wide receiver Jamonne Chester, defensive end Javon Cornley and fullback Dimitrius Carr-Watson.
“They were playing some as backup roles,” Wilson told assistant IU athletic director Jeremy Gray on the IU video. “They were not playing a lot. They're on track to graduate. They decided to not play their 5th year. That allows us to recruit someone else.
“Those guys were good players for us, solid guys. As hard as you work, if you're not playing that much, I think they're ready for the next chapter in their lives.”
Barnett, a communications-broadcast major, ended last year's spring practice as a starter. But during the summer he was suspended for a game for an unspecified violation of team rules and never regained his starting status.
Last season he played in eight games as a reserve and recorded two tackles. Among the players who passed him on the depth chart was Kenny Mullen, another former Bishop Luers standout who recorded 33 tackles while starting five of 12 games.
As a redshirt sophomore Barnett started nine games and appeared in 11 after moving from safety to cornerback. He tied for the team lead with six pass break-ups, recovered a fumble and returned it 54 yards for a touchdown against Virginia. He totaled 46 tackles.