The Fort Wayne Komets beat the Cincinnati Cyclones 7-2 at Memorial Coliseum on Saturday night. Here are five keys to the win.
1. The Komets had much more energy at the start. The out-shot the Cyclones 9-5 in the first 11 minutes and led 1-0.
2. They kept going to the net. The Komets forwards clogged the Cyclones' crease so much goaltender Michael Houser couldn't see the shots or control his rebounds.
3. Matt Firman, in particular, found holes in front. The rookie scored two goals from about a combined two feet from the front of the net.
4. Charlie Effinger played great. After playing one game all of January, the goaltender played for the second night in a row and made 34 saves.
5. Brett Smith came out with a huge chip on his shoulder. He led the way offensive, defensively and physically, with help from Kaleigh Schrock.