• Newsletters
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
°
Tuesday, September 19, 2017
View complete forecast
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.

Disney working on stand-alone 'Star Wars' films

In this publicity photo released by Lucasfilm Ltd., actor Jake Lloyd portrays Anakin Skywalker, a young Darth Vader, in "Star Wars: Episode I, The Phantom Menace." Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger says screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on standalone “Star Wars” movies not part of a new planned trilogy. Iger told CNBC on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2013, that the standalone movies will be based on “great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga." (Photo By The Associated Press)
In this publicity photo released by Lucasfilm Ltd., actor Jake Lloyd portrays Anakin Skywalker, a young Darth Vader, in "Star Wars: Episode I, The Phantom Menace." Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger says screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on standalone “Star Wars” movies not part of a new planned trilogy. Iger told CNBC on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2013, that the standalone movies will be based on “great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga." (Photo By The Associated Press)
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.The Associated Press
Wednesday, February 06, 2013 08:26 am
LOS ANGELES — Disney is mining The Force for even more new films.Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger said Tuesday that screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are working on stand-alone "Star Wars" movies that aren't part of the new trilogy that's in the works.

"There has been speculation about some standalone films that have been in development, and I can confirm to you today that in fact we are working on a few stand-alone films," Iger told CNBC.

Iger said the movies would be based on "great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga." The films would be released during the six-year period of the new trilogy, which starts in 2015 with "Star Wars: Episode VII."

Disney confirmed last month that "Star Trek" director J.J. Abrams will direct the seventh installment of the "Star Wars" saga.

Disney bought "Star Wars" maker Lucasfilm last year for more than $4 billion.

The last "Star Wars" trilogy, a prequel to the original films, was released from 1999 to 2005.

Comments

News-Sentinel.com reserves the right to remove any content appearing on its website. Our policy will be to remove postings that constitute profanity, obscenity, libel, spam, invasion of privacy, impersonation of another, or attacks on racial, ethnic or other groups. For more information, see our user rules page.
comments powered by Disqus