“But most of all, when I look back to those days so long ago, most of all, I remember Mama.”
Obviously TCM does, too, because “I Remember Mama” airs at 8 p.m. Wednesday. The 1948 film is about a Norwegian family living in San Francisco in the early 1900s.
Irene Dunne stars as Mama and Philip Dorn stars as Papa. The all-star cast includes Barbara Bel Geddes, Oskar Homolka, Cedric Hardwicke, Edgar Bergen and Rudy Vallee.
Here is a short quiz about the actors and the movie.
1. The film is an adaptation of a play from which playwright?
2. What was Irene Dunne's nickname?
3. Bel Geddes starred at Midge Wood in which Alfred Hitchcock film?
4. Homolka starred in which Marilyn Monroe film?
5. The film made the transition to TV with this title.
6. Bergen is famous for his ventriloquism. Can you name his most famous dummy?
7. Rudy Vallee played which villain on “Batman?”
8. Hardwicke also starred in a Hitchcock film. He played Gen. McLaidlaw in which one?
9. The film is based on this novel by Kathryn Forbes.
Answers: 1. John Van Druten. 2. First Lady of Hollywood. 3. “Vertigo.” 4. “The Seven Year Itch.” 5. “Mama.” 6. Charlie McCarthy. 7. Lord Marmaduke Ffogg. 8. “Suspicion.” 9. “Mama's Bank Account.”