• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • RSS
Thursday September 3, 2015
View complete forecast
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.
Local Business Search

Always consult an attorney in homebuying, whether mortgage involved or not

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 10:57 am

Q.: I have been a regular reader of your column and have learned a great deal. One of the things you say is to always be represented when buying a house. I'm assuming you mean when a mortgage is in place. We are buying a condominium and plan to pay cash for it. We are buying directly from the developing company. Since we are paying cash, is an attorney vital in this situation? – Reader, via email

A.: Has a cat got whiskers? Of course you need an attorney, whether you have a mortgage in place or are paying cash.

You are spending a substantial amount of money in a real transaction. Even if you pay cash, you will be signing a number of documents agreeing to terms that the condominium association imposes, etc. For the tiny amount of money that the attorney will cost, it is to your advantage to hire one, if for nothing else as an insurance policy. If something does go wrong, your recourse would be against the attorney, who undoubtedly has insurance.

Send questions to bruce@brucewilliams.com or to Smart Money, PO Box 7150, Hudson, FL 34674. Questions of general interest will be answered in future columns. Owing to the volume of mail, personal replies cannot be provided.