• Newsletters
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Tuesday, September 19, 2017
View complete forecast
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.

Always consult an attorney in homebuying, whether mortgage involved or not

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.The Associated Press
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:01 am
Q.: I have been a regular reader of your column and have learned a great deal. One of the things you say is to always be represented when buying a house. I'm assuming you mean when a mortgage is in place. We are buying a condominium and plan to pay cash for it. We are buying directly from the developing company. Since we are paying cash, is an attorney vital in this situation? – Reader, via email

A.: Has a cat got whiskers? Of course you need an attorney, whether you have a mortgage in place or are paying cash.

You are spending a substantial amount of money in a real transaction. Even if you pay cash, you will be signing a number of documents agreeing to terms that the condominium association imposes, etc. For the tiny amount of money that the attorney will cost, it is to your advantage to hire one, if for nothing else as an insurance policy. If something does go wrong, your recourse would be against the attorney, who undoubtedly has insurance.


News-Sentinel.com reserves the right to remove any content appearing on its website. Our policy will be to remove postings that constitute profanity, obscenity, libel, spam, invasion of privacy, impersonation of another, or attacks on racial, ethnic or other groups. For more information, see our user rules page.
comments powered by Disqus