I've never really seen the attraction of boxing, but it sure photographs well on the big screen. Why? Probably because it is violence, though in a controlled setting, with a ref's 10-count signaling one participant's loss.
Will Smith received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor for his portrayal of heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali. “Ali” airs at 8 p.m. today on Encore.
There have been many good boxing movies made. How many do you remember? Probably more than can be mentioned in this column.
1. Robert De Niro won the Best Actor Academy Award for which 1980 film about Jake La Motta?
2. This classic 1931 film was remade in 1979 with a crying Ricky Shroder in place of Jackie Cooper.
3. Barbara Stanwyck always said this actor was her “Golden Boy.”
4. John Garfield won an Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in which 1947 film?
5. Paul Newman portrayed which boxer in “Somebody Up There Likes Me?”
6. Who portrayed Rocky Balboa's trainer, Mickey Goldmill, in the early “Rocky” films?
7. James Earl Jones was nominated for a Best Actor Academy Award for his portrayal in which 1970 film?
8. Who played Louis “Mountain” Rivera in the film version of “Requiem for a Heavyweight” (1962)?
Answers: 1. “Raging Bull.” 2. “The Champ.” 3. William Holden. 4. “Body and Soul.” 5. Rocky Graziano. 6. Burgess Meredith. 7. “The Great White Hope.” 8. Anthony Quinn.