Your Town. Your Voice.
Local Business Search

3-year-old safe, murder suspect dead after Fort Wayne police standoff ends in sniper fire

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 7:53 pm

A standoff between Fort Wayne Police and a suspect in a Wednesday morning fatal shooting ended with a sniper's bullet at around 4:30 p.m. in the 3000 block of Holton Avenue.

Kenneth Knight, 45, was at the house on Holton with several adults and a 3-year- old child when police arrived. Police searching for the suspect after they say a woman was pulled from a city public bus by Knight - her former boyfriend against whom she had a protective order - and shot to death had identified two possible locations where Knight could be. The first location was a home in the 4100 block of Richfield Lane - Knight's last known address - and the second location was a home in the 3000 block of Holton Avenue.

The three adults immediately fled the home when police arrived, leaving the child inside. The Emergency Services Team and Crisis Response Team negotiated with Knight on the phone off and on all afternoon trying to resolve the situation. The child was no relation to Knight.

Fort Wayne Police Chief Rusty York said police command had decided if there was an opportunity for the Emergency Services Team to get a shot, they should take it. The opportunity presented itself around 4:30 p.m. when two members of the team fired simultaneously at Knight, killing him.

“No one likes this kind of an ending to a situation like this, Mr. Knight dictated the ending,” York said.

Knight had gone to the house after police say he shot Jacqueline Bouvier Hardy, 49, of Fort Wayne.

Witnesses to her shooting at 7:53 a.m. knew who Knight was and identified him to the police. This eventually led police to the Holton address, according to police. Knight knew the people who lived in the Holton home.

Police say Hardy was pulled off a Citilink bus by Knight, then shot to death. She died on the sidewalk a few feet from the bus on the east side of Reed Street at the intersection with Pettit Avenue shortly before 8 a.m. Wednesday. Numerous Fort Wayne Police officers and detectives went to scene after FWPD received a flurry of 911 calls about an armed man and a shooting.