• Newsletters
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Tuesday, September 19, 2017
View complete forecast
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.

Two men in critical condition in separate weekend shootings in Fort Wayne

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.The Associated Press
Sunday, March 31, 2013 06:41 am
Two men are in critical condition from gunshot wounds in separate shootings Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. In the most recent case, Fort Wayne Police were called at around 3:14 a.m. Sunday to Early Birds, 4201 Wells St. in reference to a shooting, according to John Chambers, FWPD spokesman. Officers told investigators that as the establishment was closing at around 3 a.m. a fight involving several individuals started in the parking lot.

During the altercation, gunshots were fired. A short time later, someone took a man suffering from an apparent gunshot wound to a local hospital, according to Chambers. Hospital doctors said the victim was listed in critical condition.

The name of the victim is being withheld pending family notification, according to Chambers. There is no suspect information at this time and no arrests have been made.

This incident remains under investigation by the FWPD and the Allen County Prosecutor's Office.

A few hours earlier police investigated the shooting of a man in the 3300 block of South Hanna Street. In that case, police were called at around 1:34 p.m. Saturday to the 800 block of Drexel Avenue for an unknown problem. While officers were responding to the scene, additional calls came into 911 dispatch advising that a male had been shot in the 3300 block of South Hanna, according to Chambers.

As paramedics and officers arrived, they found a man suffering from apparent gunshot wounds at the South Hanna location, according to Chambers. Paramedics treated the victim before taking him to a local hospital in critical condition.

Investigators believe that the victim was walking on the sidewalk in the 3300 block of Hanna when the gunman ran from between houses and began shooting at him, according to Chambers. The gunman ran off in an unknown direction.

This incident also remains under investigation by the FWPD and the prosecutor's office.


News-Sentinel.com reserves the right to remove any content appearing on its website. Our policy will be to remove postings that constitute profanity, obscenity, libel, spam, invasion of privacy, impersonation of another, or attacks on racial, ethnic or other groups. For more information, see our user rules page.
comments powered by Disqus