News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.
This Weeks Deal
Lush Hair Artistry
Half-Off  partial hi-light with Jennifer at Lush Hair Artistry ($90 value)
This Week Only
$45
50% off
Local Business Search
Stock Summary
Dow16408.54-16.31
Nasdaq4095.529.29
S&P 5001864.852.54
AEP51.73-0.77
Comcast49.10-0.07
GE26.560.44
ITT Exelis18.780.18
LNC48.070.44
Navistar34.00-0.79
Raytheon100.131.1
SDI18.00-0.9
Verizon47.600.5

Crews find bodies of 2 North Carolina children trapped in dirt

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press
Monday, April 8, 2013 - 9:09 am

STANLEY, N.C. — Authorities on Monday recovered the bodies of two children who were trapped when a wall of dirt fell on them while playing in a hole at a home construction site in North Carolina.

The bodies of a 6-year-old girl and 7-year-old boy were pulled from a 24-foot-deep pit in the town of Stanley, outside of Charlotte, said Lincoln County Emergency Services spokesman Dion Burleson.

"We've been working a horrific scene here," Burleson told reporters gathered near the rural site on a two-lane road.

Crews had been searching for the children since Sunday afternoon, when one of their fathers called 911 to report the collapse. Officials were on the scene within minutes but couldn't get to the children.

Neighbors have said a man building the home had been digging with a backhoe earlier in the day. Lincoln County Sheriff David Carpenter would not say what was being built at the site or if the man was doing it alone or had professional help.

Burleson described the pit as 20 feet by 20 feet with a sloped entrance leading down to the 24-foot bottom. Carpenter said the children were at the bottom of the pit retrieving a child-sized pickaxe when the walls fell in on them.

Carpenter said his deputies would continue to investigate what happened. The children's names have not been released, but Carpenter said it was the boy's father who called 911.