One of my family's favorites, “Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory,” airs at 8 p.m. today on AMC.
A full-length feature film satire based on Roald Dahl's children's book, “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” this 1971 classic stars Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka, Jack Albertson as Grandpa Joe and Peter Ostrum as Charlie.
Songs by Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse are featured, too.
Let's test your memory regarding this film and its stars.
1. For what Academy Award category was this film nominated?
2. The film also was nominated for a Golden Globe Award — for which category?
3. What was the admission to the factory?
4. What was Charlie's last name?
5. This actor was considered as first choice to play Willy Wonka.
6. Name the small, odd characters at the factory who sang of various dangers.
7. How many children were admitted to the factory?
8. What were the children eligible to receive once inside the factory?
Answers: 1. Best Music, Scoring Adaptation and Original Song Score (Bricusse, Newley and Walter Scharf). 2. Best Motion Picture Actor: Musical/Comedy (Wilder). 3. A golden ticket. 4. Bucket. 5. Joel Grey. 6. Oompa Loompas. 7. Five. 8. A tour of the factory, shown the secrets of the candy, with one lucky winner receiving a lifetime supply of Wonka chocolate.