If you're in the mood for a disaster movie, then “Dante's Peak” can fill the bill. It airs at 9:45 p.m. tonight on Encore.
This catastrophe of volcanic proportion stars Pierce Brosnan, Linda Hamilton and Charles Hallahan. A volcanologist (Brosnan) travels to the small community of Dante's Peak to study some recent volcanic disturbances. While he insists something really bad is going to happen, his boss (Hallahan) and the mayor (Hamilton) aren't convinced — that is, until the water turns color and smells putrid. Then disaster sets in.
Here is a short quiz about some famous disaster movies.
1.This man produced a slew of disaster flicks in the 1970s and 1980s.
2. Paul Newman portrayed an architect trying to put out a fire in which disaster film?
3. In this 1972 film, only a handful of passengers survive when this ocean liner capsizes.
4. Richard Carlson starred in this 1954 classic about a prehistoric beast in the Amazon.
5. Steve McQueen starred in which 1958 horror flick about an alien mass that overtakes a town?
6. When he wasn't battling bad guys in the west, James Arness starred as a creature terrorizing a group of people at a remote arctic outpost in which movie?
Answers: 1. Irwin Allen. 2. “The Towering Inferno.” 3. The Poseidon. 4. “Creature from the Black Lagoon.” 5. “The Blob.” 6. “The Thing from Another World” (1951).