A Warsaw orthopedics industry promoter will provide $180,000 to restore and move into the third floor of Warsaw's relocated City Hall Building.
The Warsaw City Redevelopment Commission has approved an agreement under which OrthoWorx, through the Orthopedics Capital Foundation, would provide the money to restore and preserve the third floor of the building at the corner of Center and Buffalo streets, according to a news release. OrthoWorx will occupy part of that floor for three years, under the agreement.
At the end of 2010, the city bought the former National City Bank building, which dates to 1912, and renovated it into the City Hall. The first floor includes a larger Council Chambers, along with the Clerk-Treasurer's Office and Wastewater Payment Office. The Mayor's Office, Human Resources, and Building & Planning Department occupy the second floor.
The city moved its offices into the first two floors of the building in late 2012. The previous City Hall, at Market and High Streets, was built in 1952.
The OrthoWorx project would retain the historic character of the building and would complete the restoration of the building, begun by the city in 2011, according to a news release from the nonprofit. Bids will be opened for restoration and remodeling and construction is expected to be complete by the end of the year.
Mayor Joe Thallemer and his staff will hold an open house Saturday at City Hall. A focal point in the main lobby is a vintage 13-foot, two-sided oak bench that originally sat in the Warsaw train depot, according to Warsaw's website. The lobby includes a display area recognizing local orthopedic companies, which have earned Warsaw the title of “Orthopedic Capital of the World.”
Warsaw is home to orthopedics makers Zimmer, DePuy and Biomet, which represent one-third of the global market and brings in $11 billion in annual sales, according to the OrthoWorx website.