Your Town. Your Voice.
Local Business Search

Fort Wayne, area police briefs

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 9:39 pm

Man's body recovered from lake

Indiana conservation officers with help from Kosciusko County's Dive Team recovered the body of a man Wednesday morning from Little Chapman Lake.

The body of Edward Hundley, 70, of Warsaw, was found after the Department of Natural Resources resumed the search after bad weather caused officers to halt operations Tuesday, according to a news release.

Witnesses stated that Hundley was swimming from a pontoon boat when he went underwater at 3:50 p.m. Tuesday.

Barricaded subject surrenders

A 55-year-old man barricaded inside a mobile home Wednesday morning on Wells Street surrendered after police deployed tear gas.

The Fort Wayne Police Department responded at 1:07 a.m. to a mobile home in the 3100 block of North Wells in reference to a 911 hang-up call, according to Officer John Chambers, FWPD spokesman. While officers were responding, 911 dispatch spoke with an individual who was inside a mobile home making suicide threats. As officers arrived, they made several attempts to contact the individual but were unsuccessful, so members of the department's Emergency Services and the Crisis Response teams were called.

Negotiators spoke several times with the man, who continued to refuse to come outside. After about three hours, officers deployed tear gas into the mobile home at which time the individual came out and surrendered to police.

The man was taken to a local hospital for an evaluation.

This incident remains under investigation by the FWPD and the Allen County Prosecutor's Office.

Search to resume for man at lake

Severe weather forced Indiana conservation officers to suspend their search for a man reported missing Tuesday afternoon on Little Chapman Lake.

The elderly man, whose identity was not released, went missing around 3:50 p.m. Tuesday, according to a Department of Natural Resources news release.

Witnesses said the man was swimming from a pontoon boat when he went underwater.

The DNR expects to resume search-and-recovery operations Wednesday morning.