• Newsletters
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
°
Wednesday, September 20, 2017
View complete forecast
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.

2 Ivy Tech students injured in chemistry lab mishap

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.The Associated Press
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:01 am
Two students suffered minor injuries in a chemistry lab accident Tuesday evening at Ivy Tech - Northeast.

The Fort Wayne Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at 4:34 p.m. at the school's Student Life Center, 4900 St Joe Road. When the first unit arrived five minutes later the crew found smoke coming from the chemistry lab, according to a news release. They discovered that a chemistry experiment had overheated and boiled out of its container, filling the lab with smoke. Two students had minor injuries. One was treated at the scene and the other was transported to St. Joe Hospital for treatment.

Damage to the lab was minor and no one else was injured. The building was evacuated as a precautionary measure and the smoke was removed by the fire department. It was determined that there were no further hazards and the incident is under investigation by the fire department and school officials, according to the release.

Comments

News-Sentinel.com reserves the right to remove any content appearing on its website. Our policy will be to remove postings that constitute profanity, obscenity, libel, spam, invasion of privacy, impersonation of another, or attacks on racial, ethnic or other groups. For more information, see our user rules page.
comments powered by Disqus