• Newsletters
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Tuesday, September 19, 2017
View complete forecast
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.

Indiana official warns of fireworks dangers to kids

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.The Associated Press
Tuesday, July 02, 2013 07:48 am
INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana State Fire Marshal's Office says about 40 percent of all fireworks injuries happen to children younger than 15.State Fire Marshal Jim Greeson urged caution with the Independence Day holiday this week to prevent injuries, especially among children.

He says even seemingly harmless fireworks can cause injuries. He says sparklers burn at about 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. That's 300 degrees hotter than the temperature at which glass melts.

Greeson says glow sticks make an excellent alternative to sparklers, especially for young children and can be bought at many stores.

Greeson says it's good to have a fire extinguisher, hose, bucket of water or other water source nearby when lighting fireworks.


News-Sentinel.com reserves the right to remove any content appearing on its website. Our policy will be to remove postings that constitute profanity, obscenity, libel, spam, invasion of privacy, impersonation of another, or attacks on racial, ethnic or other groups. For more information, see our user rules page.
comments powered by Disqus