More than a month after Curly’s Village Inn closed after a fire, the deck and interior bar area have reopened.
The fire, caused by a June 1 lightning strike that created electric damage, forced the riverfront bar at 4205 Bluffton Road to close while repairs were made.
It has re-opened after a frustrating month-long recovery, co-owners David and Tina Brown said in a news release Thursday.
Just a day short of their one-year anniversary of acquiring the 40-plus-year-old family business from David's mother, Mary Armstrong, they watched as Fort Wayne firefighters doused a small blaze ignited by a lightning strike at their Waynedale-area tavern. Paul "Curly" and Mary Armstrong opened the bar in 1969.
“While the fire itself affected only the exterior of the second-floor party room – sparing the vintage first-floor bar – two more minor electrical fires during the repair process plagued the bar’s reopening,” they said in the release.
Now, complete with all-new electrical wiring, the Browns are planning a re-opening party at a later date.
“The outpouring of support while we were down was phenomenal,” said Tina Brown in the release.
Curly’s Village Inn is open 1-p.m.-2:30 a.m. Monday-Saturday and 1-9 p.m. Sundays and offers views of Foster Park and the St. Marys River from its deck seating. The kitchen is open 5-10 p.m. Monday-Saturdays and 4-8 p.m. Sundays.