A 29-year-old man died early Monday in house fire on Reynolds Street.
The Allen County Coroner's Office has identified the man as Joshua Scott Ohmart. Based on an autopsy this morning, the coroner's office ruled that Ohmart died of smoke inhalation and that his death was accidental.
Ohmart was pronounced dead at the scene of the fire in the 2200 block of Reynolds Street at 6:14 a.m., the coroner's office reported.
Firefighters were dispatched to the fire at 5:47 a.m. after an off-duty firefighter reported smelling smoke in the area of Wayne Trace and New Haven Avenue. After firefighters searching the area spotted smoke coming from roof eaves of the Reynolds Street home, they asked for more help at the fire and forced their way into the home, firefighters reported.
Some of the crew immediately started fighting the fire in the kitchen, while others searched the home for people inside. They found Ohmart in a rear bedroom and pulled him out of the house. Firefighters said medics began caring for Ohmart immediately, but could not save him.
Crews arrived on the fire scene eight minutes after the report was called in; it was under control at 6:16 a.m. Fort Wayne Animal Care and Control was called in after firefighters found two cats that died in the house fire.
The fire and Ohmart's death remain under investigation by the Fort Wayne Fire Department and the Allen County Coroner's Office.