In honor of the ultimate tough guy, enjoy this quiz about Cagney and his career.
1. In one of his last roles, he played a police commissioner in which 1981 film about a black pianist and racial tensions in the early 1900s?
2. Cagney received an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role for which film?
3. He played Lon Chaney in this film.
4. He played George M. Cohan in which two films?
5. He didn't win the Oscar, but he received the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor for his role in this 1938 film about a priest trying to stop a gangster from corrupting a group of street kids. Name the film.
6. Cagney played an uncredited extra in which 1935 Charles Laughton film?
7. He starred with Jean Harlow in yet another gangster film, this one set in Chicago. Name the film that came out in 1931.
Answers: 1. “Ragtime.” 2. “Yankee Doodle Dandy” (1942). 3. “Man of a Thousand Faces” (1957). 4. “Yankee Doodle Dandy” and “The Seven Little Foys” (1955). 5. “Angels with Dirty Faces.” 6. “Mutiny on the Bounty.” 7. “The Public Enemy.”