• Newsletters
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Thursday, September 21, 2017
View complete forecast
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.

Allen County convicted killer unleashed anger over guard's comment, TV time, according to court record

Deadrian Boykins
Deadrian Boykins
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.The Associated Press
Friday, December 27, 2013 08:59 am
The surveillance video, according to a probable-cause affidavit, shows it all.While Allen County Sheriff's Department confinement officer Quinton Greer wasn't looking because he was collecting food trays, convicted murderer Deadrian Boykins approaches and strikes Greer on the right side of the head with an uncollected tray.

Greer falls to the ground…and then Boykins begins punching him, and punching him, and punching him. At least 15 times, according to the affidavit.

During the course of the alleged assault on Christmas Day – for which Boykins is charged with Class C felony battery of a law enforcement officer – Boykins also kicks Greer twice and throws another food tray at him, striking him in the head.

And the reason for the attack?

According to Boykins, who allegedly waived his rights and consented to an interview by a detective, it was because he “warned Greer about disrespecting me” – and Greer did so by stating that a man was dead because of Boykins. Greer, according to Boykins, made the comment after Boykins requested that a television be left on for a few minutes in order to show some holiday spirit.

The affidavit states that Boykins said during the interview that the exchange took place about an hour before Boykins attacked.

Greer, who has served with the department for three years, sustained a broken nose and cheek bone, as well as a laceration under an eye, as a result of the attack, according to the affidavit. He was taken to a local hospital in serious condition Wednesday and was still there Thursday, in stable condition.

The attack took place at around 11:25 a.m. Wednesday. Greer was able to call for assistance during the attack, with officers from the sheriff's department and the Fort Wayne Police Department responding to the jail, 417 S. Calhoun St.

Boykins was sentenced to 65 years in prison Dec. 20 after his conviction in the April murder of a 17-year-old – a sentence that won't even start until a 12-year sentence for robbery is completed.


News-Sentinel.com reserves the right to remove any content appearing on its website. Our policy will be to remove postings that constitute profanity, obscenity, libel, spam, invasion of privacy, impersonation of another, or attacks on racial, ethnic or other groups. For more information, see our user rules page.
comments powered by Disqus