Here's a blast from the past. Turner Classic Movies is airing “The Goodbye Girl” at 8 tonight. The 1977 film was nominated for five Academy Awards and five Golden Globes.
An unemployed dancer (Marsha Mason) and her daughter are forced to live with a struggling off-Broadway actor (Richard Dreyfuss) when her boyfriend leaves and sublets the apartment to Dreyfuss' character.
Here is a quiz about the film and its stars.
1. Mason was married to the film's writer. What was his name?
2. Who played Mason's daughter in the film?
3. The film won one Academy Award — for what?
4. Dreyfuss provided the voice to a centipede in which film?
5. Who directed “The Goodbye Girl”?
6. Mason received her first Oscar nomination for which film?
7. Cummings starred as Annie Cooper on which ABC TV series?
8. Dreyfuss starred in another hit film in 1977. Name it.
9. In “The Goodbye Girl,” what is the name play in which Dreyfuss' character stars?
10. Mason starred as Nora Ruscio on which TV series?
Answers: 1. Neil Simon. 2. Quinn Cummings. 3. Best Actor in a Leading Role (Dreyfuss). 4. “James and the Giant Peach.” 5. Herbert Ross. 6. “Cinderella Liberty” (1973). 7. “Family.” 8. “Close Encounters of the Third Kind.” 9. Shakespeare's “Richard III.” 10. “Sibs.”