Tonight's best TV bet dates back to 1985. This film launched the careers of unknowns Oprah Winfrey and Whoopi Goldberg and established Danny Glover as a bankable star.
That's right. “The Color Purple” airs at 7 p.m. on BET. Goldberg plays Celie, a woman who fears her domineering and abusive husband, played by Glover, yet longs for freedom. Winfrey plays the strong-willed Sofia.
Here is a quiz about the stars and “The Color Purple.”
1. Though the film received none of the 11 Academy Awards for which it was nominated, who received the Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture — Drama?
2. Who directed the film?
3. Who played Shug?
4. One of Glover's first-starring performances was as which character on “Hill Street Blues?”
5. Who wrote the book on which the film was based?
6. Who was the actress who portrayed the young Celie?
7. Which actor from the film was nominated for an Academy Award for “A Soldier's Story?”
8. Which actor from the film appeared in “The Cotton Club.”
9. Which actress was considered for the role Goldberg played?
Answers: 1. Whoopi Goldberg. 2. Steven Spielberg. 3. Margaret Avery. 4. Jesse John Hudson. 5. Alice Walker. 6. Desreta Jackson. 7. Adolph Caesar. 8. Laurence (Larry) Fishburne. 9. Alfre Woodard.