• Newsletters
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
°
Wednesday, July 26, 2017
View complete forecast
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.

Officials say 2 boys wrecked old Indiana cemetery

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.The Associated Press
Tuesday, March 25, 2014 03:27 pm
THORNTOWN — Two young boys are to blame for dozens of tombstones being knocked over and damaged in a central Indiana cemetery dating to the 1800s, officials said.Larry Truitt, president of the Thorntown Town Council, said he found the tombstones damaged last week with the 6-year-old and 10-year-old boys sitting inside the cemetery grounds.

The boys admitted to knocking over the headstones for fun, he told WISH-TV.

Truitt led a project a few years ago to fix and document the headstones and clean up the cemetery in the Boone County town of some 1,500 people about 30 miles northwest of Indianapolis. He said more than 100 soldiers are buried there.

"Seeing the damage that's been done, and the disrespect that's there is really hard. It does make you angry," Truitt said. "But I don't know how you get angry at a 6-year-old, a kindergarten kid. We'll accept this, and hopefully everybody learns a lesson."

A town police officer has sent a report to the county juvenile department to decide what punishment the children might face.

Truitt said repairing the damage cost between $40,000 and $75,000.

Comments

News-Sentinel.com reserves the right to remove any content appearing on its website. Our policy will be to remove postings that constitute profanity, obscenity, libel, spam, invasion of privacy, impersonation of another, or attacks on racial, ethnic or other groups. For more information, see our user rules page.
comments powered by Disqus