Starting in 2004 Jackson had a juvenile record for carrying a handgun. He was charged with illegal handgun possession charges in 2008 and again in 2010.
According to court documents, Jackson was arrested Feb. 14 and charged with Class A felony attempted murder, Class C felony carrying a handgun without a license, and Class C misdemeanor operating as an unlicensed driver in connection with a double shooting that took place Feb. 11 in an area near Dawnan Drive and Decatur Road. In a plea agreement all charges but the aggravated battery were dropped before the sentencing.
In that incident, two male victims were found on the ground near a vehicle in which they had been riding.
Investigators found shell casings north of where the two men were discovered. Both were hospitalized in fair condition. According to court documents investigators believe it was Jackson who fired into the other car multiple times. Jackson allegedly had a .38-caliber revolver.
“He has been a scourge, based on his behavior,” Custer told the court.
Judge John Surbeck Jr. agreed with Custer, giving Jackson the maximum sentence of 20 years for the crime.
“Here we are again, but for the grace of God, the victims are still alive,” Surbeck told the court.
Jackson told the court he was “done with that lifestyle,” and expressed remorse for his bad behavior. Surbeck said the aggravating circumstances in this case far outweigh any mitigating circumstances. The day of the shooting, Surbeck said, Jackson not only endangered the lives of the men in the other car, but the community around the scene as well. Multiple bullet casings were found at that location, according to investigators.