Byron Health Center residents and staff will pass out snacks while dressed as "Wizard of Oz" characters. Residents and staff both also held fundraisers to raise money to buy school supplies, and Menard's donated the backpacks.Craig Hartman, director of Shalom Ministries in New York City, will discuss the situation in Israel and his group's efforts to share Christianity with people of the Jewish faith while preaching during Sunday School at 9:30 a.m. and the worship service at 10:30 a.m. this Sunday at Shoaff Park Baptist Church, 6151 St. Joe Road.Registration is open now for the fall Girls on the Run program for girls in grades 3-5.
From Aug. 25-Nov. 6, teams of eight to 20 girls will meet twice weekly with volunteer coaches to work through the Girls on the Run curriculum, which includes running games, workouts and activities designed to help girls build self-esteem and make healthy lifestyle choices, a news release said.
The training will prepare girls, along with an adult running buddy, to complete the River City Rat Race on Oct. 6 in Fort Wayne, the news release said. The program is designed for girls of all fitness levels, and no previous running experience is needed.
The host sites and meeting times for this fall will be:
• New Haven Intermediate School, 1065 Woodmere Drive, New Haven, 5:30-6:45 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
• Three Rivers Running Company, 4039 N. Clinton St., 5:30-6:45 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
• St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church, 1502 E. Wallen Road, 2:45-4 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays (during March, the team will meet from 3:30-4:45)
• Leo Elementary, 14811 Wayne St. in Leo-Cedarville, 2:30-4 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
• Canterbury School, 5601 Covington Road, 3:30-5 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
Participation fees are figured on a sliding scale based upon household income, and range from $25-$110. The fee covers a T-shirt, water bottle, program materials, 20 classes and River City Rat Race registration.
To register online or to download a paper registration form, go to www.girlsontherunofallencounty.org. Registration forms are also available at Three Rivers Running Company.
Space is limited, and openings at each site will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Priority will be given to girls who attend school at the site location.