• Newsletters
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
°
Friday, April 28, 2017
View complete forecast
News-Sentinel.com Your Town. Your Voice.

Komets, James Martin unsure what will happen with contract talks

All-star defenseman James Martin and the Komets are unsure if they'll be able to get a contract signed for the upcoming season. News-Sentinel photo by Blake Sebring
All-star defenseman James Martin and the Komets are unsure if they'll be able to get a contract signed for the upcoming season. News-Sentinel photo by Blake Sebring

More Information

Online

For more on the Komets, follow Blake Sebring on Twitter at www.twitter.com/blakesebring and at his blog www.tailingthekomets.com.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.The Associated Press

Defenseman would prefer to sign in the AHL

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 09:01 pm
Don't take it personally, but James Martin kind of hopes he doesn't play in Fort Wayne this hockey season.The defenseman wants to sign in the American Hockey League for the upcoming season, or at the very least go for a training camp tryout.

"I'd love to get a one-way contract," Martin, 24, said from his home in Winnipeg. "That would be the ideal situation, but I'm not afraid to go to an AHL camp and try to earn a job, either."

Martin had his career-best season last year, scoring nine goals and 41 points for the Komets while playing as the team's representative in the ECHL All-Star Game. He realizes this might be his best chance to move up to the AHL.

"I'm still looking to move forward in my career," he said. "I'm trying to concentrate on that, but if I have to come back to the ECHL level I'd like to play in Fort Wayne, too."

The Komets, who have talked with Martin throughout the summer, currently have six defensemen under contract or training camp tryout invitation, and are expecting at least two more blueliners from their affiliation with San Antonio of the AHL. Because they made him a qualifying offer and he does not have veteran status, the Komets own Martin's ECHL rights until the end of the upcoming season.

"Fort Wayne was awesome for me last year, and I hope I'm in their plans," Martin said. "I'm getting older every year and the window is closing, even for me to go to Europe. I want to give this is a legitimate shot, and right now I don't want to go and feel comfortable and sit in the ECHL or another year."

Komets general manager David Franke said he plans on speaking with Martin this week.

"We put our best foot forward and if it's not going to be enough then we'll have to figure something else out," Franke said. "Right now we're kind of stuck in neutral and hoping to get it figured out before long."

More Information

Online

For more on the Komets, follow Blake Sebring on Twitter at www.twitter.com/blakesebring and at his blog www.tailingthekomets.com.

Comments

News-Sentinel.com reserves the right to remove any content appearing on its website. Our policy will be to remove postings that constitute profanity, obscenity, libel, spam, invasion of privacy, impersonation of another, or attacks on racial, ethnic or other groups. For more information, see our user rules page.
comments powered by Disqus