Your Town. Your Voice.
Local Business Search

Violations found over Indianapolis pool fumes

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press
Friday, November 16, 2012 - 8:16 am

INDIANAPOLIS — State safety inspectors found several safety violations at an Indianapolis city pool where dozens became sick from a chemical reaction this summer.

The state Department of Labor inspection report finds that the Garfield Park pool lacked devices to prevent the mixing of chemicals that can form chlorine gas and didn't have proper safety equipment for workers.

The agency's report orders the violations be fixed and recommends a $14,250 fine.

The chemical reaction in June at the pool on the city's south side resulted in about 70 people, mostly children, going to hospitals for treatment of symptoms including nausea, breathing problems and watery eyes.

The pool reopened several days later after city officials say repairs were made. City officials didn't immediately reply Friday to messages seeking comment on the state report.