Recently, my husband and I were eating dinner when he said he and his co-workers were trying to name 10 of the best, yet their favorite, movies.
Together, we then began to name our "best" movies — way more than 10, and we tried to narrow our lists. I eventually took pad and pen and wrote down my list. By the time I was done, I had come up with more than 30.
Can you figure out some of my "best" movies by taking this quiz?
1. Which 1983 dramedy featured former college friends who reunite at a friend's funeral?
3. Which 1990 war film focused on the crew of a B-17 bomber about to fly its 25th and final mission in 1943?
4. Stanley Kramer directed which 1963 madcap comedy about strangers traveling cross-country to find a thief's loot?
5. Which 1974 Irwin Allen disaster film revolved around a grand opening party for a poorly made skyscraper that catches fire?
6. The Tramp struggles to live in the industrial age in which 1936 silent film?
7. Humphrey Bogart starred as a screenwriter acused of murder in which 1950 murder-mystery?
8. "What we've got here is a failure to communicate." Hint: 1967 film.
9. A petty criminal pleads insanity and must deal with Nurse Ratched in which 1975 film?
10. A woman delivers a pair of love birds to a little girl in which 1963 film?
11. A lawyer defends a black man during the Depression in which 1962 film?
12. A man is released from prison and seeks revenge against a marshal who has just gotten married in which 1952 film?
Answers: 1. "The Big Chill." 2. "The Magnificent Seven." 3. "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." 4. "The Towering Inferno." 6. "Modern Times." 7. "In a Lonely Place." 8. "Cool Hand Luke." 9. "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." 10. "The Birds." 11. "To Kill a Mockingbird." 12. "High Noon."