Learn about your family’s past during Family History Month at the Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center
You can celebrate Family History Month with a wide variety of workshops and activities now through Oct. 31 at the Genealogy Center at the downtown Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza.
Registration is recommended for all events. Call 421-1225, go to www.GenealogyCenter.org or email Genealogy@ACPL.Info.
People interested in starting genealogy research can attend Beginner’s Day from 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday in the genealogy area’s Discovery Center.
* 9:30-10:30 a.m.: Beginning Your Family History Exploration
* 11 a.m.-noon: Continuing Your Family History Exploration
* 1:30-2:30 p.m.: Introduction to Ancestry & FamilySearch.org websites
* 3-4 p.m.: Other Online Sources, including Genealogy Center databases
For a full list of Family History Month events, go to www.genealogycenter.org//docs/fhm2017.
Here are a few other highlights:
* Tuesday, 6:30 p.m. in the Discovery Center: Migration Routes & Trails Across America. Learn routes your ancestors traveled and how they got there.
* Oct. 21, anytime from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Genealogy Scavenger Hunt: Family Fun in The Genealogy Center. Discover the different resources in the center and how to start family history research. There are prizes for completing the hunt.
* Oct. 25, 6:30 p.m. in the Discovery Center: Using FamilySearch for Your Family History. Learn search techniques to maximize your use experience on the FamilySearch.org free genealogy website.
* Oct. 29, 1 p.m. in the Discovery Center: DNA Results: What Does Your Ethnic Pie Chart Mean? Learn how each of the major DNA testing companies calculates your ethnic estimate and how to interpret the results.
* Oct. 30, 6:30 p.m. in the Discovery Center: Who, What, Where? How to Look at, Analyze & Organize Your Photographs. Get tips on how to identify time periods and locations, annotate images with family stories and facts, and organize your digital images.