Christmas in the Park to celebrate spiritual side of holiday this weekend in Fort Wayne’s Franke Park
The annual Christmas in the Park event Saturday and Sunday in Franke Park will celebrate the spiritual side of the holiday season – and include a special thank you.
The Karen Christian choir will perform a Thank You Concert at 3 p.m. Saturday to thank God for his protection and their safe travel here as refugees from Myanmar, which formerly was called Burma, and event news release said.
The Karen, who are among several ethnic groups in Burma, also want to thank people in the Fort Wayne-area for welcoming them and helping them settle into community life here, the news release said.
Christmas in the Park, which celebrates the meaning of Christmas as the birth of Jesus Christ, will take place 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Franke Park, 3411 Sherman Blvd. It is organized by the Christ Child Festival organization, www.ChristChildFest.org.
Other event highlights include:
• Horse-drawn wagon rides: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
• “The Christmas Journey through the Streets of Bethlehem” re-enactments featuring the Fire & Light youth theater troupe, including a stop at the Nativity scene, which includes live donkeys and sheep. Re-enactments 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and noon-5 p.m. Sunday.
• See live camels outside the magi tent
• Give the gift of giving by writing a note to a U.S. military veteran, which will be delivered to the VA Northern Indiana Health Care System.
You also can write a note to local firefighters or, by donating toward the postage, for a little girl who also will receive a dress through the Little Dresses for Africa program.
• View a variety of Nativity sets and specially decorated Christmas trees, including former entries in Embassy Theatre’s Festival of Trees.
• Children can make crafts, play games and visit the Animal Grams Petting Zoo in the activity tent.
• Children also can watch as balloon artists use balloons to create animals. Children can choose one to take home.
MIMEtime mime troupe, noon
Neer & Far Puppet Show, 1 p.m.
Big Blast Balloon Sculpting, 2 p.m.
Lutheran Men of Song, 2:30 p.m.
Karen Christian Thank You Concert, 3 p.m.
Gene Branscomb Southern Gospel soloist, 4 p.m.
Big Blast Balloon Sculpting, 12:30 p.m.
Carolaires, 1 p.m.
Concordia Lutheran High School Singers, 2 p.m.
Praise Bands, 2:30 p.m.
Impromptu Choir (you have the opportunity to join in singing Christmas carols), 3:30 p.m.