Black College Club annual Spring HBCU Tour will include events commemorating 50th anniversary of MLK assassination
Area high school students interested in attending college can join Fort Wayne’s Black College Club for its annual Spring Tour of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), will take place April 1-7 and visit schools in Tennessee, Arkansas and Missouri.
The tour also will include stopping in Memphis, Tenn., on April 4 and taking part in events commemorating the 50th anniversary of the assassination of noted U.S. civil rights leader the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
Young people can learn more about the club during a meeting 12:30-1:30 p.m. Saturday in the Business, Science & Technology area on the second level of the downtown Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza.
Founded in 1997, the Black College Club (BCC) is a nonprofit high school youth organization that takes people of all races and backgrounds to visit HBCUs to make students aware of those institutions and the opportunities available at them, tour information said.
The MLK death 50th anniversary events will include touring the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, where King was staying when he was shot, BCC tour information said. Students also will tour the building across the street, from which assassin James Earl Ray shot King.
The motel, which now is the National Civil Rights Museum, will be the site of 50th anniversary activities throughout the day April 4, BCC tour information said. A special commemoration ceremony will begin at 6:01 Central Daylight Time, the time King was killed.
The down payment for the trip is $50 per student, payable as cash, check or money order to the Black College Club. Payment also can be mailed to: Black College Club, P.O. Box 6340, Fort Wayne, IN 46896.
Upcoming Black College Club meetings will take place on the following dates. All of the meetings will take place at downtown Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza:
• Feb. 17: 12:30-1:30 p.m., Business, Science & Technology area
• March 3: 12:30-1:30 p.m., first-floor meeting rooms
• March 17: 12:30-2:30 p.m., with discussion of details of the spring HBCU tour, first-floor meeting rooms
For more information, contact BCC co-founder Kevin Howell at 1-260-310-0987 or email Kevinhowellus2002@gmail.com.
• April 1: Leave Fort Wayne and travel to St. Louis, Mo.
• April 2: Tour Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis and Lincoln University in Jefferson City, Mo.
• April 3: Tour Lane College in Jackson, Tenn., and LeMoyne-Owen College in Memphis, Tenn.
• April 4: Attend events in Memphis commemorating the 50th anniversary of the assassination of civil rights leader the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
• April 5: Tour Arkansas Baptist College and Philander Smith College, both in Little Rock, Ark.; and University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff in Pine Bluff, Ark.
• April 6: Return to Memphis.
• April 7: Return to Fort Wayne