Fort Wayne Philharmonic announces highlights of its upcoming 75th anniversary season
The Fort Wayne Philharmonic will celebrate its 75th season beginning this fall with a variety of performances and musical guests, ranging from opera star Renee Fleming to Broadway and “Hamilton” star Leslie Odom Jr. and Hoosier star Sandi Patty with the Indiana University Singing Hoosiers.
The 2018-2019 season highlights include:
• Opening Night on Oct. 6 features opera star Renée Fleming.
• In addition to Fleming, artists making debuts or performing in Masterworks Series concerts include pianist Lise de la Salle, violinist Andrew Wan, cellist Robert deMaine, pianist Stewart Goodyear, and violinist Paul Huang.
• The Philharmonic will present Broadway and “Hamilton” star Leslie Odom. Jr. in concert on March 2, 2019.
• Music Director Andrew Constantine leads all ten Paul Yergens and Virginia Yergens Rogers Masterworks Series concerts. The musical repertoire includes works by composers including Adams, Barber, Beethoven, Berlioz, Butterworth, Rachmaninoff, Ravel, Sibelius, Strauss, Stravinsky, Tower and Vaughan Williams.
• The Philharmonic will perform two works by American composer Joel Puckett – the premiere of an overture on the season’s opening night Oct. 6 and the Indiana premiere of Short Stories – Concerto for String Quartet and Orchestra on April 6, 2019.
• The Philharmonic and Fort Wayne Ballet will partner to present the ballet “Cinderella” on March 22-24, 2019.
• On Feb. 2, 2019, Andrew Constantine leads the Philharmonic and guests in a concert version of the world’s most popular opera, George Bizet’s Carmen, with stunning projected visuals.
• The orchestra will perform Benjamin Britten’s War Requiem on Nov. 10, nearly 100 years to the day after the armistice that ended World War I.
• Beethoven’s 9th Symphony will be paired with John Adams’ “On the Transmigration of Souls” on March 16, 2019.
• Sweetwater Pops Series includes Walt Disney’s “Fantasia,” Nov. 3; Holiday Pops, Dec. 7, 8 and 15; Wynonna, Jan. 26, 2019; “The Sounds of Simon and Garfunkel,” Feb. 16, 2019; Sandi Patty and the Indiana University Singing Hoosiers, March 30, 2019; and George Gershwin: Rhapsody and Rhythm, May 11, 2019.
Subscriptions for 2018-2019 season concerts are on sale through the Philharmonic box office at 1-260-481-0777.
Tickets to individual concerts will go on sale this summer.
For more about the Fort Wayne Philharmonic, go to www.fwphil.org.