Man charged with November Lafayette murder Witness told police that homicide was to prevent victim from reporting accidental discharge.

A Fort Wayne man has been charged with murder in connection with the shooting death of Sha Rif last November in the 4200 block of Lafayette Street. A warrant has been issued for his arrest.

Marquavious M. Jones, 27, of the 900 block of McKinnie Avenue, was charged Friday in Allen Superior Court with murder, plus a firearm enhancement.

According to court documents filed in the case, witnesses came forward almost immediately to tell detectives what reportedly had happened on the night of Nov. 29 before Rif was found by officers at 1:41 a.m. Nov. 30 inside a vehicle at the Marathon gas station in the 4200 block of South Lafayette Street.

Rif, 22, of Fort Wayne, was the 46th homicide victim in Allen County for 2016.

Police said witnesses saw two men running from the white SUV Rif was shot in and found two .380-caliber shell casings in the front passenger seat area.

On Dec. 1, two women contacted police about events leading up to the shooting, according to a probable-cause affidavit.

The women told police there had been a party Nov. 29 at their home, which the women said Rif and Jones had attended along with another man who has not been charged. The first woman said she saw Jones with a gun, and told Jones it was a dumb idea to take a picture of himself with the gun and post it on Facebook, the affidavit said.

The second woman told police Jones asked Rif for a ride to Foster’s Bar, and they left with another man known as “D.” She told police Jones was jealous of Rif and his relationship with both women.

A third witness came forward, also on Dec. 1, and told police she had just come from a friend’s house where she was having dinner. She said Jones also was there and allegedly bragged about shooting Rif. According to this witness, Jones said the gun initially accidentally discharged and hit Rif, who said he “wasn’t going to beg for his life,” resulting in Jones allegedly unloading the gun, the affidavit said.

The same witness was interviewed on Dec. 14 and told police she was speaking with the first two witnesses who came forward, and they told her to stop talking about it since Jones was on their front porch and didn’t want to tip him off that they had gone to the police, the affidavit said.

On Dec. 22 a fourth witness, who lived with the first two women, also spoke with police. He told police the get-together was for his stepdaughter, and people played cards, watched TV and chilled. He said he remembered Rif used his father’s SUV because his vehicle was out of gas and had to get it back because he didn’t have permission to take the SUV. He said “D” asked Rif for a ride home and Jones went with them.

He also told police Jones was loading .380 bullets into a 9-mm gun. “Look, it takes .380 bullets,” Jones said. He told police he was upset because Jones was playing with the gun and waving it around, the affidavit said.

When this fourth witness found out Rif was dead, he found Jones at 10 a.m. Nov. 30 around the corner. He asked Jones what happened, and Jones allegedly gave him a “menacing smile” and said, “I gotta talk to you.” At this point the witness became upset and walked away. About 30 minutes later he came back to talk to Jones, the affidavit said.

When he asked Jones what happened a second time, Jones allegedly answered, “I killed Sha Rif.” He further explained he was trying to sneak a gun into Foster’s Bar, stuffing it into his jacket when it went off, striking Rif’s upper shoulder and neck area, grazing him. Jones said Rif was going to tell, so he allegedly opened fire. The witness also told police Jones threatened his family, the affidavit said.

Police unsuccessfully attempted to interview “D” twice.

The shell casings confirmed they came from the same weapon; however, they had an anomaly that prevented normal engraving, the affidavit said.