Man sentenced in April residential burglary
A Fort Wayne man will serve one year on work release after he pleaded guilty to burglarizing a home last April
Nyunt Htwe, 21, of the 500 block of East Hawthorne Street, was sentenced Monday in Allen Superior Court. Htwe had pleaded guilty last month to the Level 4 felony.
Htwe also was sentenced to serve three years on probation, and Allen Superior Court Judge John Surbeck dismissed a misdemeanor count of criminal mischief.
The victims told police they returned home last April and found the front door forcibly opened. One of the victims said she walked in and found Htwe standing in the living room with two Nintendo DS gaming systems in his hands, as well as a Toshiba laptop computer and Playstation 4 gaming system moved from their normal locations in the home to chairs near the door, according to a probable-cause affidavit.
She also told police the living room and bedroom were “trashed” and multiple items, including a TV set were damaged/broken.
Htwe allegedly dropped the Nintendo system and said, “You’re not supposed to be home,” and then jumped out the front window, which broke, in order to leaved the residence. The victims attempted to keep him on scene until police arrived.
During a police interview, Htwe told police he drank alcohol, kicked the door open and “rampaged” the house, the affidavit said.