Apartments evacuated while Fort Wayne Police deal with Hobson Road barricaded gunman

Darrion Bright (Courtesy of the Allen County Sheriff's Department)

Several apartments in a Hobson Road complex had to be evacuated early Thursday morning while police removed a suspect who had allegedly fired gunshots hours earlier.

Darrion Bright, 20, of Fort Wayne is charged with two counts of criminal recklessness, a Level 5 felony; domestic battery, a Level 5 felony; two counts of domestic battery, a Level 6 felony; and possession of a handgun by a serious violent felon, a Level 4 felony.

At 11:40 p.m. Wednesday, the Fort Wayne Police Department responded to several reports of gunshots being fired in an apartment complex in the 2100 block of Hobson Road, according to police spokesman Chris Felton.

Officers found a woman who said she was involved in a domestic disturbance with Bright, who had fired gunshots at her during the disturbance and then barricaded himself inside her apartment, according to Felton. She was able to get away without being injured.

Officers tried to contact Bright, but he allegedly refused to cooperate and come out of the apartment. Because of the nature of the call, the Emergency Services Team and Crisis Response Team were called to the scene shortly after 12:30 a.m., according to Felton. EST and CRT members tried for several hours to contact Bright by loud speakers and telephone, but he allegedly refused to surrender. A flash bang device was used to try to force him to surrender, but was unsuccessful, according to Felton.

Officers eventually evacuated several nearby apartments, and EST members deployed tear gas into the apartment where Bright was. He surrendered at 3:26 a.m., and police took him into custody without incident.

He was taken to the Main Street police station where he was interviewed, charged and taken to jail.

Hobson was closed between East State Boulevard and Lake Avenue during the investigation. There were no injuries reported and no other persons involved, according to Felton.

This incident remains under investigation by police and the Allen County Prosecutor’s Office.