Here are cold-weather tips to keep your pipes safe
City Utilities reminds residents to protect their water pipes as temperatures dip to the zero mark and below because frozen pipes can cause thousands of dollars in damage. Here are some tips to protect your home pipes:
• Leave a small stream of water running (size of pencil lead) to keep water moving through the pipes when temperatures dip.
• If a sink is located against an outside wall, open cabinet doors to allow warm air to get to the pipes.
• Wrap insulation around pipes that run through crawl spaces or on an outside wall.
• Protect the water meter by wrapping it to add warmth.
• If the water meter is located in the garage, keep the garage door closed.