Free tax filing help available in Fort Wayne area through two programs
Income tax preparation and filing help now is available through two Fort Wayne-area programs.
People who earned $54,000 or less in 2017 can receive tax help now through April 13 through the Free VITA Tax Preparation Program.
WHEN AND WHERE:
• St. Mary Catholic Church, 1101 Lafayette St., Saturdays, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. (doors open at 8:30 a.m.); and Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays 2-8 p.m. (doors open at 1:30 p.m.). Closed Feb. 10 and March 26.
• American Red Cross, 1212 California Road, Saturdays, 9 a.m.-noon (doors open at 8:30 a.m.).
For more information, call 211.
WHAT TO BRING:
• Picture ID, Social Security or ITIN cards for all members of the family
• W-2, Unemployment, and/or 1099 forms for ALL jobs held in 2017
• Health Insurance information for everyone in the family for 2017
• If you had Marketplace Insurance, 1095-A Form
• Letters or notices received from IRS
• Copy of last year’s tax return
• Savings or checking account number if using direct deposit
• Your spouse, if filing jointly
• Landlord name, address and rent paid in 2017
• If you paid for 2017 child care, bring the provider’s name, address, Tax ID and amount paid.
• College tuition expense (form 1098T) and/or student loan interest (form 1098E)
• Home interest and property tax paid in 2017
AARP FOUNDATION TAX-AIDE FREE TAX PREPARATION AND ASSISTANCE
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, the nation’s largest volunteer-run, free tax preparation and assistance service, will offer free tax preparation and filing help with 2017 federal and Indiana tax returns for people who live in Adams, Allen, DeKalb, Wells and Whitley counties.
For tax help times and location addresses, go to aarp.org/taxaide and search by your location or call 211 or toll-free 1-888-227-7669.
• Adams County Library, Decatur
• Allen County Main Library, 900 Library Plaza, and library branches throughout Allen County
• Concordia Lutheran Church, 4245 Lake Ave., Fort Wayne
• Fort Wayne Community Center, 233 W. Main St., Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.; and Tuesdays 1-8 p.m.
• St Joseph Township Community Hall, 6033 Maplecrest Road
• DeKalb Council on Aging, Auburn
• Wells County Council on Aging, Bluffton
• Wells County Library, Bluffton
• Whitley County Council on Aging, Columbia City
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide is offered in conjunction with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.