UPDATED: Nickolaus McKinley turns himself into Fort Wayne Police in Javon Sims’ shooting death

Nickolaus McKinley is charged in connection with the November shooting death of Javon Sims, according to Fort Wayne Police. (Photo courtesy of Fort Wayne Police)

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to reflect McKinley’s arrest and to give information from court documents. Also, McKinley’s name was originally misspelled in court documents. His first name has been corrected to Nickolaus in the story, except where court documents are quoted.

A man with ties to this city and Cleveland who was being sought by Fort Wayne Police in connection with the local November shooting death of his best friend has turned himself in.

Nickolaus Fitzgerald McKinley, 24, had two friends drive him from Cleveland to the Fort Wayne Police Department at 2 p.m. Tuesday. McKinley is charged with reckless homicide in the Nov. 7 killing of Javon Sims, 22. An Allen County warrant for McKinley also lists a charge of use of a firearm.

Sims had been taken in critical condition to a hospital after being shot at 1:12 a.m. that day in the 2900 block of Smith Street; he later died at the hospital, police previously reported.

According to a probable cause affidavit filed in Allen Superior Court, the following occurred:

Sims talked with police but did not say who shot him. Sims’ mother said she had heard gunshots being fired at 10 p.m. and midnight before Sims was shot. She spoke to Sims outside his home, where he was smoking a cigarette. A few minutes later she heard gunshots and when she asked Sims if he was alright, he told her, “No, Nick shot me.” She told an investigator that Nick was Sims’ best friend, McKinley. The next morning Sims’ mother told McKinley’s grandmother that McKinley had shot Sims to death.

“Later that same morning, Nicholas came over and told (his grandmother) that Javon had been shot. (She) said she knew and that Javon had died. Nickolas began to cry and told (her) that he was the one who did it, and it was an accident.

“Nickolas told her that people were shooting at the house all day and that he saw someone approaching him in a dark hoodie and Nickolas shot him.”

McKinley told police during an interview Dec. 28 that different cars had driven by the house and fired shots hours apart, so when he wanted to smoke a cigarette on the porch, another man gave him a gun for protection. He saw a person with a hoodie covering his face who had a gun and was creeping between the houses so he fired a shot and ran into the house. He then heard Sims say that he had been shot by McKinley.

McKinley said he ran to Sims, who forgave him. McKinley told detectives that Sims’ mother and brother told him not to tell the police anything. He said he returned the gun to the man who gave it to him and he didn’t know where the weapon was.

Court documents listed McKinley’s residence as the 1000 block of East Lawn Drive but do not say why he was not arrested right after the December interview.


The Fort Wayne Police Department is asking anyone with information on the case to contact the detective bureau at 1-260-427-1201 or Crime Stoppers at 1-260-436-STOP or 1-260-436-7867.