Public can offer input on proposed A-F school accountability rule during hearing Monday in Fort Wayne
Area residents and school officials can comment on the Indiana State Board of Education’s (ISBOE) proposed A-F Accountability Rule for schools during a public hearing 4-7 p.m. Monday in the auditorium of the Ivy Tech Community College-Fort Wayne’s Coliseum building at 3800 N. Anthony Blvd.
The proposed A-F rule will set up the process for assigning a letter grade to Indiana elementary, middle and high schools and to school districts as a general indication of their performance in educating students. Some educators have criticized the A-F system in the past for not providing an accurate picture of student learning and growth.
At Monday’s public hearing on the proposed rule, people who want to make a comment will be asked to sign up to speak, said Josh Gillespie, ISBOE director of external affairs. When it is their turn to speak, each person will have 3 minutes to make comments.
ISBOE staff and board members will listen and accept written comments during the meeting, Gillespie said. They will not take any action.
People who are unable to make attend a public hearing can share their thoughts by sending an email by 5 p.m. April 4 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The proposed rule can be read at http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/20180214-IR-511180007PRA.xml.html.
The hearing Monday in Fort Wayne will be one of five public hearings the ISBOE plans to hold around the state (See the list below).
The ISBOE plans to vote on adoption of the final version of the rule on June 30, and it will take effect July 1 for the 2018-2019 school year, it said on the ISBOE web page about the rulemaking process, http://www.in.gov/sboe/2406.htm.
PUBLIC HEARING SCHEDULE
Here are the Indiana State Board of Education’s planned public hearings on its proposed A-F Accountability Rule for Indiana schools:
• Feb. 19: 4-7 p.m., auditorium on the Coliseum campus, Ivy Tech Community College-Fort Wayne, 3800 N. Anthony Blvd. in Fort Wayne
• Feb. 22: 4-7 p.m., Ivy Cafe, Room 109, Ivy Tech Community College-South Bend, 220 Dean Johnson Blvd., South Bend
• Feb. 26: 4-7 p.m., Eykamp Hall, Room 251, Ridgway University Center, University of Evansville, 1801 E. Walnut St. in Evansville
• March 1: 4-7 p.m., Lecture Hall, Room 1520, Ivy Tech Community College-Madison, 590 Ivy Tech Drive in Madison
• March 9: 8:30-11:30 a.m., Conference Room C, Indiana Government Center, South, 302 W. Washington St. in Indianapolis
Comments regarding the new proposed A-F Accountability Rule also can be sent by 5 p.m. April 4 to SBOE_Comment@sboe.in.gov.