Allen County Public Library board welcomes new member, looks at 2017 by the numbers
The Allen County Public Library board of trustees welcomed a new member and heard a report on 2017 library operations during a meeting Thursday at the main library, 900 Library Plaza.
Allen County Councilwoman Sharon Tucker, D-District 1, joined the board as a representative from Allen County Council. Tucker fills the unexpired term of former library board and county council member Bill Brown, who had two years remaining in his library board term when he resigned at the end of last year.
Board members also received a year-end report for library operations in 2017. Highlights include:
• 367,000 residents in service area
• 41,028 hours of service provided in 2017 through 14 library branches
• 2.3 million visits by people to library branches
• 4.7 million checkouts of library materials by customers, including 593,000 children’s books and materials
• 280,000 reference assistance transactions with library staff
• 19 million electronic content uses, excluding card catalog searches. This total includes 12.8 million information views from searches and 6.6 million downloads of items.
• 1.9 million wireless internet uses
• 500,000 uses of the 506 public computers in libraries
• 7,155 programs sponsored by the library
• 188,109 people attended programs sponsored by the library
• 20,376 programs and events at libraries sponsored by non-library groups
• $27,972,211 in operating revenues
• $25,808,373 in operating expenses